Monday, June 21, 2010

LOOK MAW! I CAN READ!!!

So, I'm not much of a reader. Anyone who knows me, especially my family knows, I've maybe read a total of 6 books to completion in my entire life. Most of which being a school assignment, or kids books, like The Indian in the Cupboard. I think the longest book I've ever read to completion was The Catcher In The Rye, which was a school assignment, and the only one I actually enjoyed. But even that one, took me a couple of months of sporadic reading when I could. I've never sat down, opened a book and read it without stopping. That is... until this weekend.

Erin's friend Leanne recommended a book called The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. It's part of a trilogy, and Erin read it and loved it. Which I expect from Erin, because she's a bookworm, and just enjoys reading, period. She recommended the book to me, even though knowing that I don't enjoy reading much. I kinda hinted that I might give it a try at some point, but never "really" had any intention of reading it. Erin had read both books fairly quick. The 3rd one doesn't come out until the end of this summer. She is REALLY anticipating it because the second one apparently has a nasty cliffhanger. I don't know yet... I imagine I will soon. :) It's kind of humorous to think that Erin and I will most likely be fighting over who gets to read the book first. Who would have thought THAT would ever happen?

So this past Saturday, I had absolutely ZERO plans, which was kind of a first. I could have drove over to Erin's and hung out over there, and helped her around the house, but she was having a chill day as well, so we decided to save the gas. I got up kind of early, and there was a copy of The Hunger Games laying around the house. Sarah and Jen (whom I live with) were both into the books, and just finished reading them (I even think Jen read them like 4 or 5 times. She's even more of a reader than Erin). So I picked it up, and gave it a glance. I knew it was suppose to be a good book, so I figured I would read the first chapter or two and see if it was worth investing in, because I didn't have anything else to do, and I wasn't about to sit around and watch TV all day, and I didn't want to drive anywhere.

The first chapter was pretty basic. Just setting up a scene. It was intriguing enough at first. By the end of the first chapter, I was already hooked! The preview of the synopsis was brilliant, and I couldn't wait to find out what happened next. Form what I've experienced in my limited novel reading career, chapter ends/beginnings generally seem to be natural shifting points. Sort of a break in the story, almost telling you "Go ahead and put me down for a minute and go grab a soda, I'll be right here". This book was FAR from that. Each chapter end was seemingly designed to tell you "If you put me down, I will come after and kick you in the face. Now stay here, and let's finish this thing buddy"! I couldn't stop. I'd get to the last couple of paragraph's of each chapter and "think" this would be where I can stop, but the last 3 sentences just screwed me up! It was like I was being lured, just like a fish. I almost felt helpless! But who was I to care? It's not like I had anything going on.

After the third chapter, I finally decide to take a break and escape to quieter, more secluded location. I end up rushing down to the nearest coffee house (Not a Starbucks Mom, don't worry), and I buck up on the nice plus chair, and set my feet on the table. I got there about 10am. I had a small breakfast that morning, but I got really hungry around noon. I couldn't leave to go get lunch though! I even justified my hunger, and willingness to not even eat a bite the rest of the day because one of the main themes in the book was hunger, and I even felt more connected to the characters when I was reading the book completely starving. But by about 3:30-4:00, I had to go get something.

I rushed back home, and made some sammaches, and chips, and locked myself in my room until about 11pm, until I couldn't even keep my eyes open anymore. I was only 3 chapters from the end! Luckily I stopped right before the grand climax! I end up having plans on Sunday all day, but Sunday night I came home and read all but the last chapter, and finished the whole book the next morning on the way to work on the train.

I imagine that next Saturday will probably be a similar situation with the second book. We'll see. I can't wait to dig into it. I'm almost afraid to start in during the week, because I may not sleep. Hahaha. Look at me, Mr. Anti-reader finally found something he's obsessed with! This may just be the thing to turn me into a reader after all. :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOVE
:-)
but really, you'll be a reader-- you just had to find the right books to ease you into it!

Mommy said...

I agree with the future Mrs. Slay! And kudos for not going to Starbucks! Haha!

LeLe said...

Suzanne Collins TOTES kicks you in the face! I've been trying to get Maburn to read these b/c I think he'll love them but he never has time.