Thursday, June 3, 2010

The Countdown

So, it's only 65 days until me and the soon to be former Sandrick tie the knot! And boy, I'm I anxious!!! There's a lot to look forward to. Aside from spending the rest of my life with the most beautiful woman I know, there are also some great practical things that I am super stoked about!

Sharing income: This might sound selfish, but I am really looking forward to living in a double income household, especially since Erin and I are pretty similar in our spending habits, and we are actually budgeting to be OUT of debt, as oppose to going into debt like a lot of newly married couples do. Erin's the one that will be the money master. She's paying the bills, and deciding what we get to spend on what, and I get an allowance. Now, a lot of guys (or women) will tell you that they hate this idea. I LOVE IT. Simply because, I don't like dealing with money, and Erin does. She's volunteered for the job, and it works out to both of our benefit. So, I say yay. :)

Sharing a place: Erin and I have been pretty successful at being good kids throughout our dating period. We decided very early on that living together before marriage was not an option for either of us. This has taken a lot of sacrifice (mostly on my part), because we have been in several situations where living together would be very convenient. Of course the one big reason we don't live together is temptation, and just an overall lifestyle appearance. Even if I did live with her, and sleep in another room, it still gives the impression that we sleep together, which we don't. Period. Now this isn't to say that I haven't crashed on the couch at her place once in a while. But we make an effort to cut off temptation before it starts, and retire to separate sleeping quarters. And that's ok, but if I'm being honest, I haven't had the easiest time being ok with that. Erin is much more of a model of self control than I am, and I applaud her for that. I really admire her in that since. It speaks volumes to me really. But I am definitely looking forward to going to bed with my wife. :)

Taking on the masculine/feminine roles: We have already begun this process. And we've been pretty good at sticking to it. Now for those of you who aren't traditional, we are, and we believe that male/female roles were put in place for a reason; they work. Now that's not to say that we don't cross over. We are in a free relationship. Erin has embraced her role as female, and doesn't feel an obligation to do certain tasks but rather she feels a joy in serving me. She finds joy in taking care of me by paying bills, cooking, cleaning, and nesting. And in turn, I find joy in serving her, by doing things like garbage, cleaning, dishes, rubbing her feet, etc... We have found a balance to fulfil one another in those roles, and it's beautiful. :) I'm looking forward to doing it as husband and wife.

Entertaining guests: Right now, living separately, we're not really set up to have people over, and entertain. But our new place will be PERFECT for such a thing. We really want to have house guests, and dinner parties, and game nights. And we want to have them frequently. Our new place will be pretty centrally located, and closer to a lot of our friends. We want our place to always be a place where people can come, relax, eat good food, have a cold drink, and laugh. We believe in providing that for our friends, family, and neighbors. It's something that we plan on investing our time and money into, because it's what we really enjoy! :)

So, those are some things that I'm personally excited about. I'm sure Erin has her version. This woman and I are doing it right I believe. We have a lot to be thankful for, and we are most definitely blessed.

No comments: